Monday, January 3, 2011

Too full to type

Christmas in England with my grandparents is a surefire way to end up with chest pains and with an increasingly severe alcohol dependency problem. I'm exhausted, I'm so fat that I've started to waddle slightly, and I've only had one gin and tonic today so my hands are shaking. But it's been ages since I've posted anything, so I'm just going to bung up a bunch of pictures from our last weekend in Spain, with minimal hilarious commentary from me. My heart just isn't in it.

Using our well deserved gov'ment monies, we hired a car and went to Olite for the weekend. Olite is a small town about an hour south of Pamplona, which is famous for its castle and its wine. We sampled both, and also steaks the size of our heads. Olite is not famous for head-size steaks, but maybe it should be.

First stop was the wine museum, which was very interesting, though the signs did all seem to have been translated by someone whose first language was neither Spanish nor English;


Then we went to the stunning, fairy tale-esque castle, which looks like something out of a particularly lurid Disney confection. 



And they had real life peasants gathering twigs, or whatever it is that peasants do for fun;


We spent a good hour and a half in the castle running around like idiots, we were that excited to be there. You can see why;






Then we stayed the night in a haunted hotel. All in all, it was the perfect way to end our time in Spain.

No comments:

Post a Comment