Friday, May 27, 2011

Dear Petbarn lady - you are not great at customer service

So, today was the day. The dog had one last walk on the beach, then the vet came round. Jay was given a sedative to put her to sleep, then an overdose of anesthetic, and she was gone in a few seconds. It was all very peaceful, and Jay wasn't scared or in any pain, but it was still horrible, and utterly heartbreaking. But for all the joy she gave us I would go through it all again in a heartbeat. She was a member of our family, and I will miss her so fucking much.

Mum had to pick the vet up from the animal hospital, because she doesn't have a car, and while she was there she settled up the account (because, as distasteful as it might be to discuss, death costs money, just like everything else in life). When mum paid the bill, the following conversation took place (please note that our vet operates out of a big Petbarn complex that also sells pet food and accessories);

Receptionist: Oh, you've spent over x amount, which means you qualify for a $20 voucher to use in the store!
Mum: Um, no thanks.
Receptionist: But you've spent over x amount, you can use these vouchers in the store!
Mum: I don't know if you've noticed, but I'm actually paying a bill for euthanasia and cremation...
Receptionist: ...
Mum: So... after today... I won't have a pet...
Receptionist: Oh, sorry! Haha!
Mum: It's fine
Receptionist: OK, here's your receipt! Have a lovely day!
Mum: Umm. They're putting my dog to sleep today, so I doubt that it will be a lovely day
Receptionist: ... Oh... Okay, have a good one!

My own personal experience from today was that my work friend decided I needed to go out for lunch to make me feel better. She invited one of our other work friends, and felt the need to add; 'we're taking Tash out for lunch. You need to be nice to her today. Her dog is dead'.

Yep. I'm just glad that I didn't tell her that my great-aunt also died today. Fucking hell, my dog and my aunt are dead and my hair is falling out. Is there any way to pause the world so I can have a few days that are not completely shitty? Because I would very much like to do that.



1 comment:

  1. I have sent you up some balsamic Onion Jam ... It won't cure all sadness but it tastes good and goes well with Cheese. It may at least momentarily distract you. ♥

    ReplyDelete