Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Cappadocia II


So, the first day was rainy, and I’d resigned myself to the fact that I was destined never to see the sun in Turkey. 

But the next day was stunning. Clear, crisp. Beautiful.





Cappadocia was flawless, and not at all as I’d imagined it. I suppose I hadn’t really known what to expect, other than the famous fairy chimneys, so I was really happy at how much more to it there was. 





I went on a tour organised by the hotel, which I was a bit wary of, but it turned out to be the best way to see a lot of the area, which is pretty spread out and hard to get around without your own transport.






I ended up talking to an Australian couple, and I evidently came across as pathetic and lonely enough that they felt moved to invite me out to dinner with them. I had yet another astoundingly good meal, yet more excellent Turkish wine (I can’t get over how good the wine in Cappadocia was – I had tried some wine in Istanbul that made me weep for the grapes that had had to lay down their lives for it, but Cappadocian wine is very, very good), and finally started to think that maybe the world wouldn’t be a better place if Turkey just slipped into the sea one day. Well done Cappadocia, you have redeemed the entire country.  

No comments:

Post a Comment