Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Cappadocia III


The third day I was in Cappadocia I went to the Goreme Open Air Museum, a collection of rock-carved buildings.

Just before you get to the actual churches and houses, there is this;



I’m sure it is. 

The various buildings are quite impressive;




but I had a hard time imagining people actually living in them, until I saw the refectory;



It’s always the most mundane things that make it easy to imagine what it must have been like. I can’t imagine what it would have been like to live in a monastery as a Medieval nun, but I can imagine what it would have been like to sit around a table with a bunch of other people and eat lunch. 

In the afternoon I went horse riding, and we saw the sunset over the Rose Valley;







Then one of the guys in our group fell off his horse, we saw some goats



and we galloped across the valley floor. I feel like if I try and describe it, I’ll just end up sounding incoherently pretentious, so I won’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment